Wednesday 13 March 2013

Scouting for Spring

Let me begin by saying, poo to [most] shop bought clothes. What I can make for myself is so much better.

photos by Richard Round Turner

Let me go on by saying that the only reason these photos look all professional and posed is because they are professional and posed - we had the official shoot for our new collection of sewing patterns at By Hand HQ a couple of weekends ago, so I took full advantage and jumped right in while the girls were doing their make-up to get a couple of decent shots to submit for something I won't mention just yet (and won't mention at all if it comes to nothing!).

What I really want to talk about here is my new Scout Woven Tee by Grainline Studio. As far as other indie pattern designers go, Jen is up there with my favourites and my bestests. No one does polished casual classics like she does, in my humble opinion. Have you seen the Archer shirt?? Nothing short of perfection. I bought and printed that pattern within minutes of it having gone live.

So. You'll notice right away that this is not a straight up Scout. I made it from a beautiful, but huge, man's shirt I picked up from Traid for less than a fiver and had taken apart at the seams. I wish you could have a feel of the fabric yourself - the softest cotton lawn - the kind that only gets better with wear, and wear is what you get when you go second hand. I cut the front in two pieces with the already existing button placket as my centre front, and added a little collar to keep to the shirt theme. In the end I actually stitched the placket shut to avoid it flapping open at the bottom. I am deeply in love with this pattern. Perfect in its simplicity, wearability and adaptability. 


The timing of this make was, at the time, so perfect. Skies blue, trees beginning to blossom, sun shining and birds singing... but it wasn't to last. Having had the promise of Spring dangled in front of us so teasingly last week, only to be snatched back and force fed another helping of snow instead, I'll be wearing this top under a good few layers until further notice. In the meantime, I already have another Scout in the cutting and various metres awaiting the same treatment, as well as big plans for the Archer. Roll on Spring!


(In the photos above I am wearing: Scout Woven Tee; Charlotte Skirt; vintage shoes; Sonya Kashmiri bag)

12 comments:

  1. Houseofpinheiro13 March 2013 at 18:27

    These is perfect for spring. I will bring the sun back... We need warm weather... You are already gorgeous without professional photos and I loved the shoes.. Good idea to used the professional photographer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely refashion! The collar is the perfect touch with the button placket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. asewingodyssey.blogspot.co.uk13 March 2013 at 21:39

    What a perfect Scout Tee and it looks fantastic with your pencil skit! Love the professional photos of you by the way, absolutely stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please! I'm so ready for Spring... Have an amazing time sweetie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! It's a little off placement-wise, but I like it all the same. Such a perfect pattern, and makes such a nice change from jersey tops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Match made in heaven!! And thank you! I always feel so uncomfortable in front of the camera, but it definitely helps having a little professional help ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to steal you and marry you, and then I'm going to make you share your wardrobe with me. THIS looks fabulous, and I hope your secret-squirrel business comes out soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reana-Louise, I accept. But you have to share YOUR wardrobe with ME, and teach me everything you know about growing veg. Deal? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. what gorgeous fabric, and I love how you've kept the placket in. I love seeing re-fashions like this - so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! I can't even deal with it. Love the outfit. Can I just BE you? PLEASE?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous. Both of them!!! And in all honesty, I'm with Ginger. Can I be you too?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aha! Refashioning! Love the whole look. So gorgeous lady!
    Px

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your thoughts, and if you have any questions at all, I will reply to them within these comments - so please be sure to check back to get your answer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...